We are a Small / Cottage Home Community on 8.23 acres of agricultural land in Bristol Virginia.
Our goal is to construct 500 to 1,000 square foot dwellings at $80.00 to $100.00 per sq ft. Our builds are affordable, environmentally friendly and energy efficient. And, we will build our homes with Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs)!! See more about SIPS in our Sustainable Small Homes drop-down menu under "Build Recommendations".
This pilot project has been in development since 2017. We celebrated our ground breaking on May 2, 2018. Please be sure to check out the photos of our selected land and our construction efforts in the galleries below. Our 2020 update will be posted in February, sharing our accomplishments, challenges and lessons learned. Look for it in our Simply Sustainable Homes drop-down menu under "2020 update".
The Simply Sustainable Vision:
- To build better quality Dwellings/Cottages ranging in size from 500 to 1000 square feet of heated and cooled living space.
- Sustainable structures utilizing passive solar placement, solar carports and Pavilions with energy storage and EV charging stations.
- Homes built with Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs) that sit on an insulated/high performance foundation.
- Heating and cooling with Mini-Split systems and Energy Recovery Ventilation (ERV).
- Hardscape with geo-textile underlayment fabric in driveways, walkways and patios.
Simply Sustainable Residents:
- All have already embraced Tiny House Living in 400 square feet or less. As a result of this previous experience, we believe the sweet spot for a home is 600 to 800 sq. ft. built on a permanent foundation.
- We believe in owning (not simply leasing) a share of the project and the land, with like-minded friends.
- We all have a shared desire to build an environmentally-conscious, energy efficient home, to celebrate pollinator-friendly practices across the property and to create both a shared pavilion with a kitchen, and large dining area as well as a community tool and equipment facility, thereby ensuring unnecessary replication of "stuff, stuff and more stuff", a concept that we are totally dedicated to moving away from.
- We require our small homes be located in an agricultural area where natural food resources, serenity and a deep connection with the land and nature abound. And surely last but not least, we ensure safe haven for our pets.